Nature cure for diabetes.
The disease is incurable but manageable. India and Pakistan have the highest rate of diabetes in the world, informs PS Prakasa Rao.
Diabetes, a common disease prevalent globally, has no cure so far; it can only be controlled.
Diabetes, Obesity and hypertension are the major diseases affecting people in India. The WHO had declared that India is all set to become the "diabetes capital of the world".
With the prevention of type 2 diabetes now being recognized as an urgent priority, attaining prevention is the central challenge. In type 2 diabetes, either the body does not produce enough insulin or the cells ignore the insulin. Type 2 diabetes is most common in Asia. Over 95 per cent of diabetes in India fall this category.
Diabetes, a nutritional disorder, is a chronic disease in which the body does not produce or properly use insulin, a hormone needed to convert sugar, starches, and other foods into energy necessary for daily life.
Both genetics and environment appear to play roles in the onset of diabetes. As a result the glucose level in the blood increases abnormally and then excretes the excess glucose in the urine. Grief, worry and anxiety also have a deep influence on the metabolism and may cause sugar to appear in the urine.
Guidelines for diagnosing diabetes: Lowering the acceptable level of blood sugar from 140mg.of glucose/deciliter of blood to 126 mg/deciliter; Testing all adults 45 years and older, and then every 3 years if normal; and testing at a young age, or more frequently, in high-risk individuals is advisable.
Diabetes has been described by most biological doctors as a "prosperity" disease, primarily caused by systematic over-eating and consequent obesity (fatness). Too much food taxes the pancreas and finally paralyses its normal activity.
Generally a diabetic feels hungry and thirsty most of the time. He does not put on weight, though he eats from time to time, and gets tired easily, both physically and mentally. He looks pale, may suffer from anaemia, constipation, intense itching around the genital organs, palpitations and general weakness. He feels sleepy and also has a lower sex urge than a normal person.
Kinds and warning signs of diabetes:
Typical Symptoms of Type 1 diabetes (usually occurs suddenly):
- Frequent urination.
- Excessive or unusual thirst.
- Extreme hunger.
- Extreme fatigue.
- Unusual weight loss.
Complications of diabetes: More than half of all individuals with diabetes do not know that they have the disease until one of its life-threatening complications occurs.
Diabetes causes damage to small and big blood vessels. This results in damage to kidney, eye, heart, and peripheral nerves. Thus Diabetes affects all systems in the body. Heart disease or stroke people with diabetes are 2 to 4 times more likely to have heart attack disease or 2 to 4 times more likely to suffer a stroke.
A diabetic can get married and lead a normal sex life but the spouse should be well informed about the disease. If one of the married partners is diabetic, the chance of disease being transmitted to children is not more than 10 per cent.
NATURE CURE FOR DIABETES:
* Diet plays a vital role in the treatment of diabetes. The diabetes patient should be a strict lacto-vegetarian and take a low calorie, low-fat, alkaline diet of high quality natural food. Fruits, nuts and vegetables, whole meal bread and dairy products form a good diet of the diabetic. These foods should be eaten in a dry condition to ensure thorough salivation during the first part of the process of digestion.
* The diabetic should not be afraid of eating fresh fruits and vegetables that contain sugar and starch.
Fresh fruits contain sugar fructose that does not need insulin for its metabolism and is well tolerated by diabetics. Emphasis should be on raw foods as they stimulate and increase insulin production. Fats and oils should be taken sparingly, for they are apt to lower the tolerance for proteins and starches. The patient should also avoid tea, coffee, cocoa, white flour, sugar and all products made from them.
* The use of bitter gourd (karela) is considered beneficial in the treatment of diabetics. It contains an insulin that has been found effective in lowering the blood and urine sugar levels. The diabetic should take the juice of about four to five fruits every morning on an empty stomach. The patient can also use bitter gourd in the form of decoction by boiling the pieces in water or in the form of dry powder.
* Garlic has also an anti-diabetic effect. Its constant intake can reduce blood glucose levels. The anti-diabetic effect of garlic is due to the presence of a sulphur- containing amino-S-Allyl acid cysteine sulphoxide (SACS). This chemical is believed to either increase the secretion of insulin by the pancreas or heighten the transport of blood glucose to the bounding line tissues.
* Exercise is an important factor in the treatment of diabetics. Light games, jogging and swimming are helpful. Bathing in cold water greatly increases the circulation and enhances the capacity of the muscle to utilize sugar. The patient should strive to be more easy-going and should not get unduly worked up by the stress and strain of life. Yogic asanas like bhujangasana, halasana, shalabhasana, dhanurasana and shavasana will also be beneficial.
SUGAR FREE DIET: In fact, Sugar is not needed in the diet. There are many 'Natural Resources' of Sucrose and Fructose. Free sugar contains only empty calories beneath of all other items like minerals and vitamins. Jaggery is the better sweet, containing so many minerals and nutrients.
Finally, So, try to practise a SUGAR-FREE-DIET. You will not suffer, only the sugar lobby will. If one eats healthy food rich in fibres and vegetables and exercise regularly, one can postpone diabetes. In fact, Yoga and exercise help in one's well being.